[PythonCAD] I/O filters via text streams

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 12 11:20:22 EST 2004

Art,

I mentioned this a bit a while back.  Did you ever come-up with an
implementation for dwg/dxf import and export to/from pythoncad?

I'm in discussions with the author of perlcad about collaboration between
perlcad and CAD::Drawing.  It's looking like one thing which might come out
of this is a set of streaming objects which allow one I/O backend to be
connected directly to another.

It occurred to me that this might be a good way to consolidate import/export
methods between multiple projects.

For example, iirc, you are using an XML format for pythoncad.  If a backend
for CAD::Drawing could be written to handle this format, a small perl program
could be opened in a pipeline to load/save to/from this format or any other
supported format.

It would also make a great command-line converter as well as giving any
program automatic import/export abilities to any other program which had a
working backend to CAD::Drawing.

Any thoughts?

--Eric