[PythonCAD] yaml-based uber-converter db format

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 20 06:21:17 CEST 2004

Hi Everybody!

We've started laying out a YAML-based format to represent a drawing
data-structure on-disk as a 'flat' tree.

Chris Somerlot is working (in python) on pythoncad and svg connectors.  As
these begin to take shape, the specifics of what goes in each YAML file will
become more clear.

For now, look at http://ericwilhelm.homeip.net/uber-converter/db/flat/ (3.yaml
and 4.yaml are closer to the final style right now than the others.)

I'll be adding a backend to the CAD::Drawing Perl modules to connect to this
new format.  That will act as a mini-hub between the YAML hub and the rest of
the formats supported by CAD::Drawing (postscript, various images, dxf, dwg,
and postgresql.)

Eventually, I'd like to get the dxf and dwg connectors to be GPL'd.  I look
forward to using Art's code for this, but that's still not 100% on the reads,
and I don't believe writing is started.

On the dxf front, there's also the coin3d dime library (lacking text-entity
support) and the qcad-lib (lacking (I believe) any 3D support.)

For those that haven't been watching OpenDWG, they are now OpenDesign, since
they have a dgn-lib.  I haven't looked at this, but there's not a lot of need
for Microstation compatibility on my horizon.  (Are they publishing a dgn
spec?)

If anyone wants to volunteer to bring STEP into the mix, feel free (ducking.)

That's just a brain dump.  Questions or comments welcome:  choose a list or
get on #cadfs on irc.freenode.net.

--Eric
--
Cult: A small, unpopular religion.