[PythonCAD] layers

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 27 07:44:06 CEST 2004

Continuing with my review, I'll move on to the interface.  I'm being critical,
because that's how things get critiqued.  Please don't take any of this as
scathing, scalding, or flaming.

Layers nested under layers seems awkward, and there doesn't appear to be a way
to create more than one top-level layer.  Maybe your analogy for top-level
layers is the same as the one that autocad uses for model/layout tabs.  If I
could have multiple top-level layers, would I be able to see them
simultaneously?

Also, the differentiation in color of the active layer could get unsettling at
higher drawing densities.  If I had just drawn a yellow line on layer '300'
and then changed to layer 'concrete' and wanted to snap to that yellow line,
it is not yellow anymore.  That could get confusing if it is between 10 other
lines.

Possibly, the inactive layer coloring should be done with some sort of mask
using the background color (if the background is black, whites turn grey, etc
(object color minus background color?))  But, even at that, there should be a
way to toggle it on and off.  It is good to be able to highlight the active
layer, or individual inactive layers, but I mostly don't care what layer
things are on while drawing (there's some mental record-keeping and sometimes
it just plain doesn't matter.)  That said, turning off layers to find what is
what can be a real pain too.

--Eric
                                        --Albert Einstein