[PythonCAD] No module named gobject

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Mon Mar 15 19:58:37 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:22:06PM +1300, Wilbert Knol wrote:

> > I'm not exactly familiar with Mandrake, but it sounds like the
> > PyGTK package is only half-installed. I'm thinking that there
> > are two packages - the PyGTK runtime package and then the
> > development package - that have to be installed. Can you
> > tell if you have both installed?
>
> pygtk-devel-0.6.9-6mdk
> pygtk-0.6.9-6mdk
>
> are both installed. I have realised I need a much later version than
> 0.6.9.

I didn't realize that these versions were still being shipped. I'd
thought most distros now shipped the pygtk-2.0 stuff, or at least the
development versions leading up to pygtk-2.0. Learn something new every
day ...

> > There won't be a 'gobject.py' file installed, as PyGTK creates
> > a compiled code shared library 'gobject.so' that Python loads
> > up.
>
> That explains it. Sorry, I was unaware Python could load shared-object
> code.
>
> pygtk-0.6.9 doesn't have gobject.so, so I downloaded pygtk-2.0.0,
> which does....but it won't compile because gtkgl.pc is missing
> (although I do have libgtkgl.so, courtesy of libgtkglarea5 and
> libgtkglarea5-devel).
>
> I wrote my own gtkgl.pc, and now pygtk-2.0.0 compiles, but there are
> several methods it skips because of undefined types...it's not a good
> look.
>
> Anyway, the GTK installation here seems to be a bit of a mess (nothing
> to do with PythonCAD). I will have to give Mdk 9.1 the flick and go
> to something better.

I think that the newest Mandrake releases are out - version 10 or
something like that. Perhaps you could get that, or maybe see what sort
of info is available on Mandrake related newsgroups or mailing lists.
Surely there are prebuilt packages for Mandrake of the most recent
pygtk-2.0 and GTK releases. Any other Mandrake users out there with any
suggestions?

FYI, the PyGTK team just released pygtk-2.2.0. I haven't installed in
yet myself, though I did pull the code from the GNOME CVS repo. I'd bet
that this version shows up in the next Fedora release, as well as Suse.
Debian should pick it up shortly as well I'd wager.