[PythonCAD] problem to launch PythonCAD

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Tue Dec 13 20:24:37 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:08:59PM +0000, Neuman wrote:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 02:29 am, Art Haas wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 10:52:23PM +0000, Neuman wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm quite new with Linux and Python (so please be tolerant with my
> > > noobie's questions), I was searching a CAD program released under GPL and
> > > PythonCAD seems to fit my needs but I have have encountered some
> > > problem....
> > >
> > > I have installed the program on my desktop , but when I try to launch it
> > > with "gtkpycad.py" it tell me:
> > >
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "/usr/local/bin/gtkpycad.py", line 30, in ?
> > >     import pygtk
> > > ImportError: No module named pygtk
> > >
> > > Well, I checked if my pygtk was correctly installed, I launched the
> > > command "rpm -qa  | grep pygtk" and it gives me the following  output:
> > >
> > > pygtk2.0-libglade-2.3.96-1mdk
> > > pygtk2.0-wrapper-2.3.96-1mdk
> > > pygtk2.0-2.3.96-1mdk
> > >
> > > So, the pygkt is correctly installed but python cannot view it.
> > > What is wrong about it?
> > >
> > > I use Python 2.4.1, Mandrake Linux 10.1.
> > >
> > > Thanks to all
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I don't have a Mandrake machine to test with, so based on what the
> > listed pygtk package you have installed I would have guessed PythonCAD
> > should have started. What you may want to try is installing a '-devel'
> > package for pygtk, as maybe that package has some of the libraries or
> > files needed for pygtk apps to run, but this suggestion is only a guess.
> >
> > What happens when you manually start python and try to import the
> > 'pygtk' module ...
> >
> > $ python

> > Does that work?
> >
> > Art Haas
>

> Hi Art,
> thanks for your answer,
>
> I tried to import pygtk after manually started python as you suggested, the
> output it gives me is:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named pygtk
>
> So I think the problem is not pythonCAD itself but that python cannot view
> pygtk library, I'll try to solve this by myself or asking to python
> community.

Is it possible that you have other python binaries installed on your
machine? Perhaps when you type 'python' at the prompt the "wrong" one is
executed instead of the system provided binary which is probably in the
'/usr/bin' directory.

> I hope I can have pythonCAD running on my machine soon to use it and
> possibly to contribute as final user.

That would be great. Good luck getting the python problem resolved.

Art Haas