[PythonCAD] PythonCAD on OS X 10.4.3

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Mon Nov 21 14:27:35 CET 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 02:10:11PM +0100, Pierre Vaudrey wrote:
> I'm trying to run PythonCAD from subversion on OS X 10.4.3 with
> python 2.4.1 and PyObjC 1.3.7.
>
> After installing :
>
> powerbook-g4-de-pierre-vaudrey:~/Documents/pythonCAD pierreva$ sudo
> python setup.py install
>
> and building :
>
> powerbook-g4-de-pierre-vaudrey:~/Documents/pythonCAD pierreva$ python
> buildapp.py --semi-standalone build
> Finding module dependencies
> Building 'build/PythonCad.app'
> Copying files
> Adding Python modules
> Warning: couldn't find the following submodules:
>      (Note that these could be false alarms -- it's not always
>      possible to distinguish between "from package import submodule"
>      and "from package import name")
>    ? AppKit.NSApplication
>    ? AppKit.NSCancelButton
>    ? AppKit.NSChangeDone
>    ? AppKit.NSDocumentController
>    ? AppKit.NSFontManager
>    ? AppKit.NSItalicFontMask
>    ? AppKit.NSMenu
>    ? AppKit.NSMenuItem
>    ? AppKit.NSOKButton
>    ? AppKit.NSOutlineView
>    ? AppKit.NSPanel
>    ? AppKit.NSSavePanel
>    ? AppKit.NSShiftKeyMask
>    ? AppKit.NSTextView
>    ? AppKit.NSWindowController
>    ? ExceptionHandling.NSExceptionHandler
>    ? ExceptionHandling.NSLogUncaughtExceptionMask
>    ? ExceptionHandling.NSStackTraceKey
>    ? Foundation.NSBundle
>    ? Foundation.NSDictionary
>    ? Foundation.NSLog
>    ? Foundation.NSMakePoint
>    ? Foundation.NSMakeRect
>    ? Foundation.NSMakeSize
>    ? Foundation.NSNotFound
>    ? Foundation.NSNotification
>    ? Foundation.NSNotificationCenter
>    ? Foundation.NSNotificationNoCoalescing
>    ? Foundation.NSNotificationQueue
>    ? Foundation.NSObject
>    ? Foundation.NSPostASAP
>    ? Foundation.NSPostWhenIdle
>    ? Foundation.NSString
>    ? objc.setSignatureForSelector
> Warning: couldn't find the following modules:
>    ? OverrideFrom23._Res
>    ? SOCKS
>    ? _dummy_threading
>    ? _emx_link
>    ? _xmlplus
>    ? java.lang
>    ? msvcrt
>    ? os.path
>    ? rourl2path
> Done.
>
> and running the application :
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/Applications/PythonCad.app/Contents/Resources/
> PythonCad.py", line 45, in ?
>      import PythonCAD.Interface.Cocoa.ImageDocument
>    File "/Users/pierreva/Documents/pythonCAD/build/PythonCad.app/
> Contents/Resources/PythonCAD/Interface/Cocoa/ImageDocument.py", line
> 38, in ?
>    File "/Users/pierreva/Documents/pythonCAD/build/PythonCad.app/
> Contents/Resources/PythonCAD/Interface/Cocoa/
> [...]

Hi.

You're probably doing nothing wrong. Instead the problem is that
PythonCAD needs some work to get it to run on OS X/PyObjC again. About
nine or ten releases ago there was someone working on making PythonCAD
run there, and for a while it did work, but he was unable to continue
his work, so things stopped working. I don't have an OS X machine to try
and revive things, though I did take a shot at it but my efforts didn't
work.

Would you be interested in trying to get things working again under
PyObjC? I can describe some of what will be involve in getting the port
to work again.

Art