[PythonCAD] I tried it and am surprised

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Mon Dec 18 04:03:46 CET 2006

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 03:02:18PM +0530, Yagnesh Desai wrote:

> Friends;
>
> I have tried the python cad and am surprised with the
> functionalities of it. It seems to be in very good direction.

Thanks.

> Is there a documentation project for the pythoncad. . ?

No, and the lack of documentation is a longstanding problem
I would love to see addressed.

> I also wanted to know the direction the pythoncad would take
> for the future . . . ie will there be 3D objects incorporated
> in it or any .dwg and .dgn support

This question was touched upon in another mailing, but the
short answer is PythonCAD will be 2-D for a while still, and
I'd like to get DWG support into the program.

> There are basic functions available in it while I miss the Snapping
> part a lot.
>
> I am trying my hands at python while no books are available in my
> city I am depending on the online resources. I am a bit used to VB
> and earlier used FORTRAN.

The Python homepage will be of great use to you as the site contains
sample code, FAQ, links to other Python sites, etc.

http://www.python.org/

> Can anyone tell what part would be of much help in pythoncad project.

Documentation would be great, especially a users guide. Somewhere
I have some tutorial docs that I was mailed and I would like to post
them on the website. Documenting the various classes/methods available
in the program would be beneficial to developers.

Art Haas

-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822