[PythonCAD] Question about transferring objects between layers

Stuart Brorson sdb at cloud9.net
Tue Feb 7 21:43:25 CET 2006

Hi --

> Suppose we have a segment S and its two endpoints P1 and P2. These three
> objects are in some layer, and now I decide to transfer either of the
> points to another layer. As both endpoints of the segment must be in
> the same layer as the segment itself, what should be the expected way to
> handle this operation? Should the program allow the point to move, and
> then by default transfer the segment as well, or should this operation
> raise an error?

I guess my question would be:  Why would I want to transfer only the
points?   Is there a use case where only the points need transerring,
and not the segment?

(I suppose you might want to *copy* some points from one layer to
another, but that's a different use than *moving* the points.)

> If the segment was to be transferred between layers, it will
> automagically transfer the points if possible (in the initial writing
> of the new code), so there is an implicit object transferring
> in some operations already.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Caveat:  I am not a mechanical CAD guru.

Stuart