[PythonCAD] other notes about development

Floris Bruynooghe fb102 at soton.ac.uk
Sat Mar 4 16:13:06 CET 2006

[ Terribly late reply here, but still thought it worthwile ]

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 10:55:19AM -0500, Art Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:03:32PM +0200, Rafael Villar Burke wrote:
> > Another point I humbly think makes difficult to grow a community of
> > developers is that some architectural decisions such as the generic UI
> > layer, which were made to have some more flexibility in the future, make
> > current development too complex and burdensome. The current situation
> > makes difficult to take advantage of the underlaying toolkit
> > capabilities and to attract developers that are proficient in a specific
> > toolkit.

I must somehow agree here.  I remember looking at the code more
closely a while ago.  Initially I applauded the separation.  But then
I discovered that the core/engine/whatever was too much linked with
the GUI.  Specifically I remember the menu layout being specified in
the GUI-independent part, this did really put me off.  I was hoping to
find a much more generic core/engine where one can then build several
UI's on.  For example, why should it not be possible to build two GTK
GUI's that look different?

Appart from that I must agree with everyone else in this thread:
thanks for keeping up the great work!  Personally I have wanted to get
involved a few times but mostly haven't because of a lack of time.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom