[PythonCAD] Port to Maemo/Nokia 770

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 22:03:26 CEST 2006

Hello,

I have a nokia 770 (http://nokia.com/770) and want to port PythonCAD to it.

I'm not a CAD user, but I follow PythonCAD development because it's an
interesting project and I have some friends from closed-source world
that want to move to open alternatives.

Why PythonCAD? My company, http://www.indt.org.br, is porting Python
to maemo platform and I think that PythonCAD would be a great test
program to it. It would also help engineers to have their drawings at
hand while on field analysis.

Limitations:
 - 770 is really low on performance and memory, it doesn't have a FPU
and have low RAM available.
 - 770 has a great screen, 800x480, but it's high DPI, which make
drawing on the device not a great thing.

So I plan to disable most "edit" features, like undo steps and
optimize to "view".

Any feedback is welcome, but mainly on these areas:
 - How to improve startup times? I did put PythonCAD dir in a zipfile
and used zipimport, it helps a bit, but need to make it faster... I
want to know if some imports could be lazy imports.
 - How to improve viewing/zoom?
 - How to improve memory usage, the lower the better

Thanks!

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com