[PythonCAD] 'python setup.py install' fails

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Tue May 2 04:13:44 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 08:48:58AM +1200, Wilbert Knol wrote:
> After migrated to Debian Sarge 3.1, the recommended pythoncad install
> procedure produces this error message:
>
> wk:/home/wk/pythoncad# whoami
> root
> wk:/home/wk/pythoncad# python setup.py install
> running install
> error: invalid Python installation: unable to
> open /usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)
> wk:/home/wk/pythoncad#
>
> It looks as if something is missing in my python setup....not sure what.

Possibly some 'python-devel' package is missing.

> Do I absolutely need to run the 'python setup.py install' command?
> Pyhtoncad runs quite happily without it if I execute './gtkpycad.py'.

You don't need to do the 'python setup.py install' procedure if you do
not need to have PythonCAD installed in a common directory. So, if you
are comfortable with just running './gtkpycad.py' from the PythonCAD
directory, you should probably stick with that.

Art Haas