[PythonCAD] Free software and civil engineering?

Milan Zamazal pdm at zamazal.org
Sat Feb 3 17:08:27 CET 2007

I'd like to know whether somebody uses free software in civil
engineering.  I'm especially interested in 2D drawing tools, but I'd
like to know about other tools as well if there are any.

What I primarily need now is a tool for drawing construction plans of my
school assignments.  I don't need a super-advanced tool, but the
absolute requirement is that the plans must correspond to Czech (mostly
equivalent to ISO/EN) drawing norms.  This is the main problem, AFAIK
neither PythonCAD nor QCad can do that.  Another important feature might
be support of common CAD file formats, but this is not what I need right
now (but I need a way to export the drawing to an easily printable file,
such as PDF).

Is there anybody here interested in the same area?  I'm not sure whether
I should try to enhance some existent tool (PythonCAD being the primary
candidate) or to write my own tool or to draw the assignments by hand.
Sure, contributing to an existent project would be generally the best
way, but I probably can't do that alone, I'm too busy with other things,
so I'm just looking for the most efficient way to get my work done.  Any
suggestions?

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--