[PythonCE] PocketPC Python

Michael Foord Michael.Foord@tbsmerchants.co.uk
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:38:04 +0100

Is this the *best* forum for discussion relating specifically to the
PocketPC distribution of Python ?

I assume it is as the page at Mukworks that I downloaded the
distribution from points to here ! I'm just surprised its quiet :-)

Anyway - a big thanks to Brad and any other develoeprs of Python for the
PocketPC. I installed it yesterday and my text parsing scripts worked
*without modification* cool. Now I've got my head around file paths I'm
flying. Ok, so I'm a newbie and my scripts are hardly a rigorous test -
but even so its great to be able to test and develop the same scripts on
both platforms (desktop windows and pocketPC). A big thank you.

First a question (ok so I could just *try it* :-).
Will it work with the 'program files' on the storage card ? That would
save me 8meg of onboard memory.

And a couple of critiscms - not about the implementation of the language
itself - but more about the way python.exe handles things I guess :

Critiscms of Python

It doesn't escapethe spaces in  filenames it is passed.
So associating .py with it and then double clicking on e.g. test.py in
"My Documents\" fails with the error can't find 'My '.

If it is running in memory doubleclicking an associated file *ignores*
the filename (along with any commandline parameters you've just
typed)..... So if you edit the script and then rerun it - you just bring
up the old window (with the old error msg. :-). This effectively means
you can only run a script if you *first* make sure python is not already
running......

In idle (opr whatever its called !) - long lines (error mesgs etc)
aren't displayed properly. You can cut and paste them ok to bring up the
horizontal slider bar... but when its first printed there's no slider
bar to read them.

--
Michael Foord
Sales Daventry Depot

---

http://www.Voidspace.org.uk
The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site - covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology, spirituality, fiction and more.

---
http://www.learnlandrover.com
http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk
---

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent
 to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
         -Milan Kundera

-----

This email is confidential & intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views presented are solely those of the author & do not necessarily represent those of Towcester Building Supplies.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error & that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
Any files attached to this email will have been checked with virus software before transmission. However, you should carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment.
Towcester Building Supplies accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses.