[PythonCE] PocketPC Python

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:18:13 -0400

On 18 Jul 2003 at 9:38, Michael Foord wrote:

> Is this the *best* forum for discussion relating specifically to the
> PocketPC distribution of Python ?

yes

> I assume it is as the page at Mukworks that I downloaded the
> distribution from points to here ! I'm just surprised its quiet :-)

I think, perhaps, most Pocket PC devices are sitting in desk drawers these days.

Certainly I almost never use my iPaq. I was just going to say, oh its a pretty good
clock on my desk in the cradle, but now I note its 20 minutes fast!

> First a question (ok so I could just *try it* :-).
> Will it work with the 'program files' on the storage card ? That would
> save me 8meg of onboard memory.

I've read on this list that others have done this and it works. I don't have an external
storage card so I've never been able to test it.

> It doesn't escapethe spaces in  filenames it is passed.
> So associating .py with it and then double clicking on e.g. test.py in
> "My Documents\" fails with the error can't find 'My '.

This is probably a limitation of the argv parsing on CE (I assume you're talking about
CE).

> If it is running in memory doubleclicking an associated file *ignores*
> the filename (along with any commandline parameters you've just
> typed).....

No surprise here, the Pocket PC OS only allows one instance of an executable to run
at a time. It's not clear to me what gets called in the running program to say "oh hey,
they just clicked this file too ..". You have any ideas?

> In idle (opr whatever its called !) - long lines (error mesgs etc)
> aren't displayed properly. You can cut and paste them ok to bring up the
> horizontal slider bar... but when its first printed there's no slider
> bar to read them.

You might be able to fix this in the main startup script that is the 'shell', I think its
ceshell.py or maybe ppceshell.py

--
Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
http://www.wecanstopspam.org/                   AOL-IM: BKClements