[PythonCE] [ANN} PyOpenSSL

Ajay abra9823 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Fri Oct 1 01:17:21 CEST 2004

Quoting Mark Eichin <eichin at gmail.com>:

> Is that enough to make urllib.urlopen work with https urls, or is it
> lower level than that?

i don't know how urllib works so cant answer that one.
But you can use PyOpenSSL to open a socket connection to the server and
then write a request to the server.
So your code may be something like

from OpenSSL.SSL import *
import socket
import rand

#create context
ctx = Context(SSLv23_METHOD)
#load certificate, certificate chain and keys
#you will also need to seed the PRNG,WinCE devices dont have any source for
#random events, so you can specify a file with random data
rand.load_file("foo.rnd")
#create socket
sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
conn = Connection(ctx, sock)
conn.connect(("https://www.verisign.com", xxx))
conn.send("GET......")

i dont remember the syntax off my head, so the above code may be
syntactically wrong.
but that is one way to go about opening a HTTPS connection.

cheers