[PythonCE] My PythonCE Directories

Michael Murdock michaelmurdock at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 00:51:07 CEST 2005

Hello,

I've been playing around with PythonCE on my WinMobile 2003 Dell Axim.
I have created directory structures that I have tried to render down
below this message. Things seem to work fine with my scripts that use
Tkinter and pysqlite and so I'm a happy camper. But I have the
following questions:

1. Are my 4 directory structures a pretty standard setup?
2. Is my sitecustomize.py script the best way to set up my paths?
3. What do I have to do to move tcl8.4.3 from the root out onto my storage card?

Thanks!

~Michael.

--------------- #1 Python Distribution on Storage Card ------

\

Storage Card

+- Python

   +- Lib

      +- python.exe

      +- python23.zip

      +- python23.dll, pywintypes.dll and all the other python
distribution files

      +- sitecustomize.py

      +- site-packages (This is where I put other people's scripts
that I import)

         + IdleCE.py

         +- sqlite

------------- #2 Tcl/Tk in Root --------------------

\

tcl8.4.3

+- library

+- tk8.4

---------- #3 Various DLLs in Windows ---------------

\

Windows

+- celib.dll

+- tk8.4.dll

+- tcl8.4.dll

+- sqlite_dll.dll

-------- #4 My scripts Directory ------------

\

My Documents

+- PyScripts

   +- All my own scripts

This is my sitecustomize.py file:

# ---------------------------------------------------
import sys
sys.path = []
sys.prefix = "\\Storage Card\\Python\\Lib"

sys.path = [sys.prefix, \
            sys.prefix + "\\python23.zip", \
            sys.prefix + "\\python23.zip\\lib-tk", \
            sys.prefix + "\\site-packages", \
            "\\My Documents\\PyScripts"]

# ----------------------------------------------------

Side Note: If I don't manually set sys.prefix then when I fire up
Python and ask for the value of sys.path:

>> import sys
>> sys.prefix

The value returned is: ''

If I do manually set sys.prefix as shown above in the
sitecustomize.py, and then ask for the value of sys.path:

>> import sys
>> sys.prefix

The value returned is: '\\Storage Card\\Python\\Lib'
But I don't know if it matters much what sys.prefix is set to.