[PythonCE] Python 2.3.4 for StrongARM Pocket PC 2003

Michael Foord mike at pcblokes.com
Sat Apr 23 10:39:32 CEST 2005

Kim Ollivier wrote:

>I have downloaded this and have got some parts working. I can get IDLE to run tkinter-test and sometimes my own hello world script.
>
>I am confused about what to expect in Wince compared to Windows. I have trouble getting from IDLE to the shell and back without a long route through the settings/memory/running programs/activate. I cannot see how to get a shell without IDLE.

If you're having to use `settings/memory/running programs/activate` to
swap the active screen, you probably need a utility like 'PocketNav' to
make it easier.

The IDLE for pocketpc is a bit different from  the 'normal IDLE' - and
is developed separately from the actual port of python for windows ce.

If you just run `python.exe`, you should get a python shell.

>What might be needed is an updated FAQ for beginners with a few screen shots. I have seen an old FAQ that has not been updated for a couple of years.
>Perhaps I could help write one. Where should it go? Can we have a "sticky" FAQ appearing.

What do you mean by 'sticky FAQ' - I've not heard that term before ?

>It seems that there is no support for sys.argv[], so how does one add parameters? As an exercise I thought it would be fun to port "fortune".
>Not much success so far.

Rats.. I can't help on this at the minute. My memory card broke and I'm
waiting for the supplier to replace it. I didn't realise that sys.argv
didn't work - but then I've never tried to use it on my PDA :-)

Best Regards,

Fuzzy
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python