[PythonCE] PythonCE with VGA screens?

Brad Clements bkc at murkworks.com
Sat Jan 8 19:48:52 CET 2005

On 8 Jan 2005 at 10:28, Stewart Midwinter wrote:

> I've installed Python 2.3 on my Toshiba e830 and am working on a
> Tkinter app. The e830 has a VGA screen, so I set the root geometry to
> a width of 480, height of 640, and was surprised to find that my root
> window was larger than the screen.  When I set its dimensions to
> 240x320, it fit the screen exactly.
>
> Is there a way to force Python to operate in VGA mode?  I really want
> the extra screen real estate!

I don't have a VGA resolution device. However I think maybe you're seeing a
compatibility "feature" that allows legacy apps to "look good" on VGA screens.

Perhaps the OS is doubling the effective resolution because your app hasn't made a
special call or have a bit set in it's PE header that tells the OS "hey, I grok 640x480".

--
Brad Clements,                bkc at murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
http://www.wecanstopspam.org/                   AOL-IM: BKClements