[PythonCE] Getting Started with Python on Mobile windows 2003

Edward Fewell EdwardFewell at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 15:38:45 CEST 2005

1) I don't know. I've done some brief looking about and haven't found
anything of the sort yet.

2) Yes.  I've installed the 2.3.4 port onto my Mobile 2003 device.  It
included a script to update the registry so that you can just click on
scripts to execute them.

3) Below is a Tkinter demo modified to work on my device.  I have installed
the 2.3.4 PythonCE and the tcl 8.4.3 ports on my device.  A bit more than a
simple Hello World demo, but it's pretty straight forward and fills the
screen with a variety of the widgets available.

Some comments.

The demo was taken from a desktop Tkinter example and trimmed to fit my
device.  It needs a sample text file: \My Documents\Personal\sample.txt.
Any ol' text file should do.

The tcl libraries are not in the default sys.path.  I've hacked in a little
fix for that into the demo, but I suspect there's a more permanent system
wide fix possible.  I've just started using Python myself here.

The check boxes and radio buttons appearance is wrong on my device.  They
seem to behave properly but the check boxes are round buttons, and the radio
buttons are square boxes.

The Tkinter calls create a window with a title bar and a menu at the top
rather than a more PPC-like window.

Errors in scripts cause a Python Error window to open full screen with some
rather unhelpful information.  Closing this window completely closes Python.
If you go to your task manager, you'll find a Python CE window which you can
activate.  That window has the full error information you need to figure out
what went wrong.  So switch to that window, don't close the error window.

This particular port of Python is missing hooks to create a process or
execute system calls.  Those are necessary for a lot of typical scripting
tasks, and I was rather disappointed that at the least CreateProcess()
wasn't there.  Quite of bit of the Windows API was done, just not
CreateProcess().

import sys
import os

sample = "sample.txt"

if os.name == 'ce':
    global sample
    import sys
    sys.path.insert(0, "\\Program Files\\Python\\lib\\python23.zip\\lib-tk")
    sample = "\\My Documents\\Personal\\sample.txt"

from Tkinter import *

class AllTkinterWidgets:
    def __init__(self, master):
        frame = Frame(master, width=240, height=320, bd=1)
        frame.pack()

	self.mbar = Frame(frame, relief = 'raised', bd=2)
	self.mbar.pack(fill = X)

	# Create File menu
	self.filebutton = Menubutton(self.mbar, text = 'File')
	self.filebutton.pack(side = LEFT)

	self.filemenu = Menu(self.filebutton, tearoff=0)
	self.filebutton['menu'] = self.filemenu

	# Populate File menu
	self.filemenu.add('command', label = 'Exit', command = self.quit)

	# Create  edit menu
	self.editbutton = Menubutton(self.mbar, text = 'Edit')
	self.editbutton.pack(side = LEFT)

	self.editmenu = Menu(self.editbutton, tearoff=0)
	self.editbutton['menu'] = self.editmenu

	# Populate edit menu
	self.editmenu.add('command', label = 'edit', command = self.stub)

	# Create  view menu
	self.viewbutton = Menubutton(self.mbar, text = 'View')
	self.viewbutton.pack(side = LEFT)

	self.viewmenu = Menu(self.viewbutton, tearoff=0)
	self.viewbutton['menu'] = self.viewmenu

	# Populate view menu
	self.viewmenu.add('command', label = 'view', command = self.stub)

	# Create  help menu
	self.helpbutton = Menubutton(self.mbar, text = 'Help')
	self.helpbutton.pack(side = RIGHT)

	self.helpmenu = Menu(self.helpbutton, tearoff=0)
	self.helpbutton['menu'] = self.helpmenu

	# Populate help menu
	self.helpmenu.add('command', label = 'help', command = self.stub)

        iframe1 = Frame(frame, bd=2, relief=SUNKEN)
        Button(iframe1, text='Click').pack(side=LEFT, padx=5)
        Checkbutton(iframe1, text='Check').pack(side=LEFT, padx=5)

        v=IntVar()
        Radiobutton(iframe1, text='dio', variable=v,
                    value=2).pack(side=RIGHT, anchor=W)
        Radiobutton(iframe1, text='Ra', variable=v,
                    value=1).pack(side=RIGHT, anchor=W)
        iframe1.pack(expand=1, fill=X, pady=10, padx=5)

        iframe2 = Frame(frame, bd=2, relief=RIDGE)
        Label(iframe2, text='Label:').pack(side=LEFT, padx=5)
        t = StringVar()
        Entry(iframe2, textvariable=t, font=("arial", 8, "normal"),
bg='white').pack(side=RIGHT, padx=0)
        t.set('Entry')
        iframe2.pack(expand=1, fill=X, pady=5, padx=5)

        iframe3 = Frame(frame, bd=2, relief=SUNKEN)
        text=Text(iframe3, height=5, width =30, font=("arial", 8, "normal"))
        fd = open(sample)
        lines = fd.read()
        fd.close()
        text.insert(END, lines)
        text.pack(side=LEFT, fill=X, padx=5)
        sb = Scrollbar(iframe3, orient=VERTICAL, command=text.yview)
        sb.pack(side=RIGHT, fill=Y)
        text.configure(yscrollcommand=sb.set)
        iframe3.pack(expand=1, fill=X, pady=10, padx=5)

        iframen = Frame(frame, bd=2, relief=FLAT)
        Message(iframen, text='This is a Message widget', width=240,
                relief=SUNKEN).pack(fill=X, padx=5)
        iframen.pack(expand=1, fill=X, pady=5, padx=5)

    def quit(self):
        root.destroy()

    def stub(self):
        pass

root = Tk()
root.option_add('*font', ('arial', 8, 'bold'))
all = AllTkinterWidgets(root)
root.title('Tkinter Widgets')
root.mainloop()