[PythonCE] Python 2.4.3 for Windows CE / ARM

Giovanni Petrucciani gpetruc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 15:32:40 CEST 2006

Jan Ischebeck wrote:
> Dear Luke,
>
> both float("2,2") and float("2.2") don't work. They raise an
> "ValueError: invalid literal for float(): 2.2".
> Current locale is "Deutsch" (german word for "german"). After setting
> the locale to LC_ALL it is still
> "Deutsch".
>
> According to localeconv| 'decimal_point' is "," but this should not have
> any influence on float(),
> as there is a specific locale depend function for this conversion.
>
> When I call locale.atof("2,2") I get the following error:
> Traceback(most recent call last):
> File "binaries\lib\locale.py", line 173, in atof
> ValueError: invalid literal for float():2.2
>
> Although the locale stuff seems to be somehow mixed up, could it be that
> float("") is
> calling a locale depend wince function in python 2.4 ?

I experience the same problem with an italian version of Windows CE.

I didn't suppose float was localized (and, as it happens for you too)
float("2,2") does not work eiher
This has also bad consequences, as float() is used everywhere; for
example now you cannot load Tkinter (which does float('8.4') ...)

IMHO float(x) shoud not use the localized version (otherwise
float(str(x)) != x  even for simple x like 0.5 .... this is really bad)

Except for this Python 2.4 rocks, and it loads even faster. really good job.

(There is also one other minor addition that I would appreciate: adding
Cut/Copy/Paste on the menu near Beak/Exit/...,  with the stilus it's a
log way around to get to Ctrl+C/X/V ...)

I'll  try to recompile it this weekend, so that I can  port sqlite (and
maybe even wxPython, 4Suite and IPython) to pyce 2.4.3

       Giovanni