[PythonCE] Differences running wxPython on WinCE vs WinXP

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 15 18:55:26 CET 2006

I am moving my application over to WinCE now that I have it working on WinXP.
I have noticed a few differences off the bat that I am wondering about:

1. As I mentioned in my previous email, I get a spinner over any Python
application that I run.

2. In a ListCtrl with multiple columns, a selected item is highlighted in
every column under XP but only in the first column with CE.  Also, it is not
possible in CE to select an item by tapping on it in any column other than
the first.  Is there a way to restore the functionality I get on other
platforms?

3. unicode support seems to have disappeared.  I didn't even know that I had
or needed unicode support, but apparently the text file I am using as the
source for the strings I display contains a few unicode characters.  Under
XP, the characters display correctly.  I switched to Python 2.3.5 on XP for
consistency with the Python on CE.  Do I have to do something on CE to invoke
unicode support?  If it was jettisoned, is there a way to restore it?

4. The most serious problem is that screen updates occur very slowly.  Updates
that occur on XP in the blink of an eye, take around 10 seconds on CE.  Does
anyone have any thoughts as to possible causes for this problem?  I am on a
Dell Axim X51v (624 MHz), which I think would be considered a top-end PDA.  I
don't think the problem is the Wifi connection I use to obtain the text I
display because the Wifi connection is not a problem for the previous version
of the program which runs on a Zaurus using PyQt.  Is it possible that
PythonCE is that much slower than the Python that runs under Linux on the
Zaurus?  Could CE itself be the problem?  Could wxPython be that much slower
than PyQt?

I don't know whether there any many wxPython users on this list, so perhaps I
should post on comp.python.wxpython -- but then I don't know whether there
are many PythonCE users on that list.
--
Jeffrey Barish