[PythonCE] How to edit registry on pocketpc to change how IE displays python files.

david creane dc at openapp.biz
Wed Jan 18 12:29:07 CET 2006

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 20:34, Stewart Midwinter wrote:
> David, there should be a script that edits the registry for you, and
> it comes with a shortcut to help run it.  Which version of PythonCE
> did you install?

I installed the files from Python-2.3.4-arm-PPC2003.zip and Tkinter-Files.zip
onto the pocketpc. I already had to edit that registry install file and where
to put the folders to get it to work as it didnt put a lib folder in the
python folder when i extracted it so i just changed that line in the registry
file. When i click on a .py file it runs the file fine.  However  if i click
on the file within Internet Explorer it opens a .py file as a text file.

How can i change the file associations within IE so that it either runs
the .py file when i click on it or it allows me to download the .py file and
run it then. I cannot find a way to edit these things in  IE in the registry.
Is there a better broswer to download on the pocketpc or is there a way to do
what i want on IE.

>Thomas Heller wrote:
>What I didn't achieve so far was to associate a useful icon with .py
>files, maybe someone could post the registry entries for that?

If you look at MP3FILE on the registry for example it has a folder called
DefaultIcon which has a Default value in it called "wmplayer.exe,-2001"
So id say the script for entering in for Python.File would be something like

Key = CreateKey(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, "Python.File")
for Name in ("DefaultIcon"):
  New_Key= CreateKey(Key, Name)
  CloseKey(Key)
  Key = New_Key
SetValue(Key, None, REG_SZ, "Link to the icon you want to represent Python")
CloseKey(Key)

You probably know this but just in case