[PythonCE] How to edit python files within WinCE env?

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Wed Nov 8 05:53:16 CET 2006

I'm brand spanking new to this mobile stuff so was pleased with how easy
it was to install pythonce on my new Dopod 818pro. I copied over a few
sample python programs from my development directory and they just
worked first time. Anyway - couple of newbie questions:

    1. (bit off topic) Does Windows Mobile not have the concept of a
file extension? I copied a few *.py and *.pyc files but I can only see
the primary file name before the "." which means in the file listing it
looks like the same file twice.

    2. How do I edit a python file within the environment? Clicking on
any of my copied programs results in its execution and I can't seem to
load them in an editor.

    3. When typing at the command prompt for a multi-line statement like
    for x in y:<cr>
        print x
       At the point of the <cr> pythonce complains as though that was
the end of my statement and doesn't let me enter the indented second line.

    4. Is there an up-to-date wiki or support web page for pythonce? I
found an old wiki but it doesn't seem to have been updated for a few years.

    Thanx all for the great product port (I actually ran 2.5 on my Dopod
before I got it on my dev machines) and I look forward to doing some
serious python mobile development soon.

    -- Ben Scherrey