[PythonCE] Fwd: PythonCE Digest, Vol 38, Issue 13

Bandung bandung at skyesystems.com
Thu Sep 28 15:20:10 CEST 2006

I have.  Its an interesting gui builder for Tkinter.   And while I like its
ability to place the few Tkinter objects that it currently supports,
anywhere within the main window, it is not complete enough to develop any
serious guis.  One is forced to open up your favourite editor and begin
hacking.  All I use it for is rapid prototyping of a few layout concepts,
to get an idea of where I might want to place things.  Lately I'm finding it
equally as fast to simply pull up a few base classes of previously designed
layouts and rework or sub class them.

My biggest complaint with this layout editor is its use of the "place"
geometry manager. I much prefer to use the "grid" geometry manager.  Second,
I prefer to have my widgets placed on frames rather than the main app
window.  I have inputted these desires to the author in hopes that the next
release will change that behaviour.

Also, the font is too small to read the menu bar or do any serious editing
of source code.  Overall, for my Tkinter gui development projects, I'm
sticking to typing in the commands and viewing the results.  And as for
editing source code, there is no way that this competes with idle or Vim
which both have good syntax hiliting and a host of other features.