[PythonCE] Wxython for PythonCE 2.5

Alexandre Delattre alexandre.delattre at enst-bretagne.fr
Mon Nov 12 15:10:14 CET 2007

Hi,

> For what concerns me, I use Python because I have absolutely no
> knowledge of C programming in Windows, neither the applications needed
> to develop in C under Windows CE... neither the time to learn, sorry.
> I'll stick to Tkinter until I'll be able to install Linux on my
> smartphone...

If you want an alternative ot Tkinter, expecially if you're interested in native rendering,
you should look forward for ppygui ( http://sf.net/projects/ppygui ).
It is inspired by Venster, using ctypes to access system graphic dll (this helps a lot circumventing the virtual adress space limitation, beeing pure python and implementing no additional dll),
but this is a brand new api, designed for python developers, and requires absolutely no knowledge of the C win32 api (But you can extend ppygui quite easily if you know so).

I'm still developing it actively but the current basis provides the following features explained in this mail:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonce/2007-October/001874.html

The toolkit works well on PocketPc and Touch-screen based Smartphone, and Christopher Fairbairn will help me porting it to
other smartphone devices.

There's a CVS up on sourceforge, but no public release yet.
This is because I may still introduce little backward incompatible changes if for instance I find a better/more pythonic api for some controls,
but I'm inclined to send the work done so far to anyone asking for it.

Regards,
Alexandre