[PythonCE] win32api

Luke Dunstan coder_infidel at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 07:42:03 CEST 2008

From: "Frédéric Mantegazza" <frederic.mantegazza at gbiloba.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 5:48 AM
To: <pythonce at python.org>
Subject: [PythonCE] win32api

> Does the win32api exist for PythonCE? I'm trying to write code that can
> work under linux, win and winCE. linux and win works fine, using this
> code:
>
> if sys.platform.startswith("linux") or sys.platform.startswith("Mac"):
>    HOME_DIR = os.path.expandvars("$HOME")
>    CONFIG_DIR = os.path.join(HOME_DIR, ".papywizard")
>    try:
>        os.mkdir(CONFIG_DIR)
>    except OSError, (errno, errmsg):
>        if errno == 17:
>            pass
>        else:
>            raise
>    TEMP_DIR = "/tmp"
> elif sys.platform.startswith("win"):
>    import win32api
>    HOME_DIR = win32api.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%HOMEPATH%")
>    CONFIG_DIR = os.path.join(HOME_DIR, ".papywizard")
>    try:
>        os.mkdir(CONFIG_DIR)
>    except OSError, (errno, errmsg):
>        if errno == 183:
>            pass
>        else:
>            raise
>    TEMP_DIR = CONFIG_DIR
>
> How can I add support for winCE?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>   Frédéric

Hi,

Generally speaking, if I were you I would avoid pywin32 and use ctypes for
accessing the Win32 API, because it is included in both Python 2.5 and
PythonCE 2.5. You would still need to handle differences between Windows and
Windows CE though, e.g. Unicode vs ANSI, kernel32 vs coredll, etc.

However, in this specific case that will not solve the problem because
Windows CE does not have any concept of environment variables, multiple
users or home directories.

Luke