[PythonCE] python port for embedded linux

Brad Clements bkc at murkworks.com
Sun Apr 27 15:42:44 CEST 2008

Four or more years ago I cross compiled Python for an older ARM
processor (no mmap support), I statically linked with uclibc and

It worked and performed reasonably. I just used the base Python source.

The only problem I had was the Python's makefile tries to compile itself
twice, clearly that didn't work in a cross-compile situation but I
worked around it by changing the makefile.

I think I had posted some suggestions to python-dev list about how to
better support cross-compile development. I don't remember and I don't
know if they accepted my suggestions.

Ashish Lal wrote:
> Hi -
> We have an embedded device with 8MB flash and 32 MB RAM with ARM 9
> processor runining 2.6.XX. kernel. We just used standard linux
> (Debian) and configured (or hacked it) to suit our needs. I am looking
> for a python distribution that has the math library, some IPC
> mechanisms and some string functions. Thats all.
> Any pointers on a python distribution for embedded applications is
> deeply appreciated.
> I have looked at distributions like tinypy etc.
> Regards,
> --Ashish

Brad Clements,                bkc at murkworks.com    (315)268-1000
AOL-IM: BKClements