[PythonCE] Is pythonCE only for ARM processors

Christopher Fairbairn christopher at christec.co.nz
Mon Apr 28 08:41:07 CEST 2008

Hi,

On 24/04/2008, at 4:01 PM, Rohan Smith wrote:
> I have installed WinCE6 on an x86 embedded system, Does pyrthon
> support x86 architectures, since I realize most PDA/Handhelds use
> ARM Processors

The releases on the sourceforge website are for Windows Mobile based
devices and hence ARM architecture only.

There have been a couple of un-official Windows CE (non aygshell
enabled) and X86 releases made at various times. But I wouldn't know
where to point you with respect to downloading one.

It's fairly each to switch the source to build for X86 instead of
ARM, from memory the only major change required is to switch the
libffi library back to the X86 version. If your platform doesn't have
the aygshell support included there is also a small amount of GUI
editing required to use standard Windows CE style menus etc.

Mainly the lack of X86 realeases has been due to lack of interest /
support in such a build. If your Windows CE device has command shell
support it is even possible to build the standard python executable
(with it's command line support etc).

Hope this helps,
Christopher Fairbairn