[PythonCE] Python CE on a Intel XScale industrial device.

Alexandre Delattre alexandre.delattre at enst-bretagne.fr
Tue Aug 5 12:34:36 CEST 2008

 > Success!
 > After manually copying the ...\ppygui-0.7\ppygui\*.py to a newly
 > created $PYTHONHOME\Lib\site-packages\ppygui the demo application
 > started (pretty damn fast!) and displayed correctly (as far as I
 > know).

Glad to here that works :)

 > Now... Do I need the Tkinter pack to use ppygui? I did not find any
 > reference to that, and I am eager to trim down the Python
 > distribution.

No, ppygui has no external dependence besides PythonCE and the system
dlls that comes out of the box on wince devices. A byte-code only
distribution of ppygui is around 250 kB.

 > I'll be having problems creating a distribution pack for
 > installing on the devices we'll be using.

These days I've been working on a script that helps producing easily
.cab for pythonce applications and libraries. Hopefully I'll polish and
publish it in the week.

 > Hmm... I wonder if I could be converted into a Python Head.

You mean a python egg ?

Also, I remember from the time I played with evc++ that PythonCE is
targeted for armv4 processors. From what I read XScale is armv5 but is
supposed to be backward compatible with armv4.
Maybe the .cab installer check the processor type id without taking into
account backward-compatibility stuff ?

I think you don't have to hurry on recompilation yet if you're able to
make work what you need for your project. Also I'm afraid only Visual
Studio 2005 allow to compile for armv5, in case you really want to
recompile something optimized for your architecture.

Alexandre