[PythonCE] pygame / distutils

René Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 03:56:26 CEST 2008

What is the best way to compile extensions for python CE ?

Adam: do you have a link to those SCUMVM files?

Any further progress?

Why not pygame-ctypes?  It was slow, buggy, and non-portable - and C
pygame worked fine.  The author was paid to do it, and stopped when
the money ran out and moved on to pyglet.  pygame has a bunch of C
code which just can't run fast enough in python.  Pygame is not just a
SDL wrapper, it's got a bunch of other code in it too.  ctypes has an
overhead for each call which is annoying for real time apps.
However... pygame-ctypes is still useful for some things, and if pypy
ever gets fast it will become more important (assuming they never
release a C api for pypy).

anyway...

I'd going to try the following order of things...
- get a simple C program to compile and run on the device.
- get a simple C python extension module working.
- get a simple SDL program working.
- get some pygame modules running.
- get full pygame test suite working.
- port pygame example programs so they work ok on pythonCE too.