[PythonCE] reading GPS?

Christopher Fairbairn christopher at christec.co.nz
Wed Jul 9 02:05:09 CEST 2008

Hi Justin,

On Wed  9/07/08 11:47 , Justin Mitchell gmane at justinmitchell.net sent:
> Any suggestions on where to get started on reading GPS coordinates?
> Would these be read through the serial interface? I have a Motorola Q9C
> Smartphone.

One approach (if you don't mind being Windows Mobile dependant) is to use ctypes
to interface to the GPS Intermediate Driver (documented on MSDN at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms850332.aspx).

This approach would take care of NEMA sentance parsing etc and give you a
structure with current lat/long and speed etc.

Alternatively you can also go the serial port route. In that case you can use the
GPS control panel applet to determine which COM port you should read from. See
http://blogs.conchango.com/kenibarwick/archive/2006/03/19/3119.aspx for more details.

Hope this helps,
Christopher Fairbairn
Microsoft MVP - Device Application Development
http://www.christec.co.nz/blog/