[PythonCE] PpyGUI-win32 with Wine

Adam Walley adam.walley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 19:18:48 CEST 2008

Hi, all.

Finally got round to giving PpyGUI a go. So far, I have only been trying to
get it up and running on all my systems. So no cute programs to show off
(yet), but I thought it may be worth sharing my experience so far in getting
things installed on my Linux AMD64 system. I am running the latest version
of Wine (1.0). In order to get the ppyGUI emulator to work on my system I
did the following:

(assuming Wine is running smoothly on the system)

1. Download the Windows installer for Python (latest is 2.5.2) - it's an
.msi file
2. Open a terminal and type "msiexec /i python-2.5.2.msi" (or whatever
version you have)
3. Follow the installation instructions
4. Now you can run the ppyGUI install.py file
    From a terminal: "wine /drive_c/python25/python.exe
/yourpath/install.py"
    where "yourpath" is the location of your ppyGUI files

One important point is that I came up against a "recursion limit exceeded"
error (many times!). I think the default Python value is 1000 here, which I
assume is not enough for the ppyGUI installer. To fix this, I edited the
install.py file by inserting the following line just below the first two
'import' commands at the beginning of the file:

   sys.setrecursionlimit(2000)

Two thousand seems to be sufficient to get things working.

One observation I have is that my Linux system does not make the emulator
window look 'very pretty'. The fonts appear to be scaled down without any
smoothing. This may just be the way my system is configured - any
suggestions welcome?! All functions seem to work fine, so for testing
purposes this is ok.

ppyGUI looks like a valuable tool that I will certainly be making use of in
the future. Keep up the excellent work!