[PythonCE] The State of Affairs

Brad Clements bkc at murkworks.com
Thu Jul 10 14:51:46 CEST 2008

Alexandre Delattre wrote:

> What I really like to start implementing is a web-based approach of
> programs distribution, a bit like apt-get on debian linux (with a
> graphical frontend of course) or like the Installer.app on jailbreaked
> iphones.

When I was working on PythonCE years ago I had the same concerns.

I am wondering if Python eggs, easyinstall and setuptools could be put
to use for this. Rather than starting from scratch.

I think easyinstall at least gets you the dependency checking,
downloading (non-graphical) and installation. removal is a pain.

Maybe you could start with a simple gui that uses setuptools and
easyinstall codebase.

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

(and sorry, I no longer have a CE device but just lurk on the list these
days),

--
Brad Clements,                bkc at murkworks.com    (315)268-1000
http://www.murkworks.com