[PythonCE] Update on MS Windows CE port

Ulrich Eckhardt eckhardt at satorlaser.com
Fri Jan 23 10:19:39 CET 2009

Hi!

Just a short update on my porting issues. I tried various things in the
holidays/vacation, filed several bug reports, got a few patches applied and I
think the thing is taking shape now. However, I couldn't work on it for the
past two weeks since I'm just too swamped at work here. I haven't given up
though!

What still needs work?

The main component that requires porting is the pythoncore project, but that
port isn't finished yet. I'm using the VS8.0 project files as a base and
adapted it in the following steps (note that this is preliminary):
0. Check out trunk (i.e. 2.x, not 3.x).
1. Create new project configuration for your CE target and use the win32 one
as a base.
2. In the preprocessor settings, add these entries:
   UNICODE,_UNICODE,UNDER_CE,_WIN32_WCE=$(CEVER)
3. Try compiling. ;)

What issues are left?

There are two classes of errors you will encounter, those that are related to
CE itself (like missing errno and other parts of standard C) and those that
are more general, like assuming TCHAR=char. Those that assume that TCHAR=char
can also be found with the plain win32 variant by simply adding UNICODE and
_UNICODE to the preprocessor defines.

What are the future plans?

I'm trying to fix errors in pythoncore one by one and provide separate bug
reports with patches. Note that there are already several patches in the BTS
which would merit reviews if you have time, even if it's only a "patch
applies and doesn't cause regressions".

When I get pythoncore to compile (and be it by disabling a few builtin
modules), I will try to get the commandline interface to work. Note that IIRC
there are two commandlines availabel under CE, one is a common cmd.exe, the
other is called AYGShell or some such. Both will/might require different
approaches.

Another problem is the fact that there is not just one target platform but a
potentially infinite number of them, since every CE device can have a
separate SDK which further might provide different features. This probably
requires autogenerated build files or some other autoconf-like procedure that
allows enabling or disabling certain features for builds.

so much for now

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH

Sator Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.