[PythonCE] PythonCE on Windows CE 6.0

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 07:17:21 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Banibrata Dutta <banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Jake Anderson <yahoo at vapourforge.com>wrote:
>
>>  On 28/09/10 14:58, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
>>
>> In attempting to install PythonCE (latest, downloaded from sourceforge),
>> using the PythonCE.WM.cab file, on a Windows CE 6.0 mini-laptop (7" screen
>> w/ 800x480 res, ARM VT-8500 300MHz CPU, and 256MB DDR, 2GB Flash SSD), I get
>> the following message popup...
>>
>> *Setup Failed:* The application cannot run on this device type. Please
>> install the application specific to this device type.
>>
>> Could someone kindly explain the reason why the Setup Failed. In the past
>> I've installed several application which are originally WM apps,
>> successfully on this WinCE6.0 device, without any issues.
>>
>> What could I do, to have PythonCE installed on this machine ?
>>
>> sounds like its not liking whatever CPU is set in the cab
>>

> Thanks for the reply, Jake. AFAIK, the CPU for which the PythonCE.WM.cab is
> built, is ARM (family). Of course, ARM family is quite wide, and slight
> differences do exist in instruction set, this is almost the first time, I
> ran into this could of trouble. :-)
>
> Would building PythonCE (cross compiling) specifically my machine help ?

Wondering if this is the culprint... this is what I find in the _setup.xml
inside the .cab file!! Which effectively means that that cab would not
install when OSVersion = 6.00 !!!

  <parm name="*ProcessorType*" value="*2577*" />
   <parm name="*OSVersionMin*" value="*4.0*" />
   <parm name="*OSVersionMax*" value="*5.99*" />
   <parm name="*BuildNumberMin*" value="*0*" />
   <parm name="*BuildNumberMax*" value="*-536870912*" />

Don't know enough of Windows development to say for sure.
--
regards,
Banibrata