[Python.NET] Need some feedback on events...

Brian Lloyd brian at zope.com
Tue Nov 4 22:51:49 EST 2003

Hi all -

Looking at fixing a problem with events, I'm realizing that
my original plan has a big hole in it :(

Here's the situation: the framework requires that an event be
implemented by providing an add_SomeEvent and a remove_SomeEvent
method.

However, the actual storage and mechanisms used to call the
delegates registered via those special methods are completely
up to the implementor of a class.

When you write, for example, a class with an event in C# using
the MS tools, you get:

  - add_* and remove_* methods

  - a private internal field to hold the delegate

You do *not* get an automagic method to fire the event, because
the class implementor is supposed to provide this if it appropriate
(but may choose not to).

The current Python.NET event stuff expects this setup, and it
allows you to treat the event as a callable object - when you
call the event, it tries to call that internal delegate.

The problem is that its wrong :) According to everything I can
find, a class is supposed to provide an 'OnSomeEvent' method to
fire an event if it is appropriate for client code to fire the
events of the class explicitly. If a class does not provide an
'OnSomeEvent' method, then it is assumed that it is not
appropriate for the event to be fired by a client (and there is
in fact no reliable way for the client to even try, since the
dispatching to subscribers is purely internal to the class and
could be done in arbitrary ways).

I'm tempted to remove the ability to call event objects directly
from Python, as this would match the convention and what you'd
have to do in C# or VB, etc. (you'd call the OnSomeEvent method
instead).

The alternative would have to be doing some kind of automagical
thing where we'd try lookup up an OnXXX if the usual private
event field wasn't there, but that seems nasty...

thoughts?

Brian Lloyd        brian at zope.com
V.P. Engineering   540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com