[Python.NET] The future of Python.NET

Thane thane at magna-capital.com
Mon Nov 29 18:35:13 CET 2004

Brian,

I would like to encourage you to continue your excellent work on Python.NET.
It's my opinion that it will be a _long_ time before IronPython comes close
to Python.NET in terms of usability, if ever.  Here are some of my reasons
for that opinion:

1.       JH was hired by MS to work on dynamic languages, not IronPython per
se, and consequently, IronPython may not be his first priority.  (Why would
they want something that would supplant VB?)

2.       For IronPython to provide any useful functionality it will either
have to directly support the existing Python libraries or these libraries
will have to be ported to .NET.  Neither of these possibilities can be
quickly achieved.

3.       MS may decide to leave IronPython as a research project and not
publicly support it (as they have done with AsmL and many other internal
projects).

Basically my point is that Python.NET is great and is immediately useful,
and I sincerely hope you don't abandon it.  As Rumack said in "Airplane":
good luck, we're all counting on you.

--Thane

  _____