[Python.NET] Subset implementation for CompactFramework

Shane Holloway (IEEE) shane.holloway at ieee.org
Mon Jul 25 18:17:39 CEST 2005

I was wondering if I could get some insight into how much of the
Python for .NET framework could be ported to the Compact Framework?
 Python is still my language of choice, and it would be wonderful to
use it to develop on the PocketPC.  This framework seems to be the
ideal interop layer to help me do this effectively.  Currently we
have two separable goals.  First is to be able to use python
libraries from VB or C# on the PocketPC.  Second is to be able to
use WindowsForms exclusively from python.

In my investigation, I worked through compiling pythonnet for the
compact framework, and found a heavy dependence on
system.reflection.emit, which is not available on the Compact
Framework.  (Which makes me grumpy, but that's another matter ;)
This brings me to the question of how much of pythonnet is dependent
on system.reflection.emit?  Can we achieve either of the above goals?

If it is possible, I'd love to help move this forward for the
crippled Compact Framework.  In this case, I'd like to talk with
someone to get an overview of the architecture.

Thanks!
-Shane Holloway