[Python.NET] Python.net with Mono and *nix

Filipe Correia fcorreia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 19:27:24 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I've followed the installation notes to use python.net with mono on a
linux box but haven't quite got it working yet. The "readme" that
comes with the python.net package says the following:

"Note that if you are running under Mono on a *nix system, you will
need to have a compatible version of Python installed. You will also
need to create a symbolic link to the copy of libpython2.x.so (in your
existing Python installation) in the PythonNet directory. This is
needed to ensure that the mono interop dll loader will find it by
name. For example:
ln -s /usr/lib/libpython2.4.so ./python24.so"

I did so, but the following exception turned up:
"Unhandled Exception: System.DllNotFoundException: python23
in (wrapper managed-to-native) Python.Runtime.Runtime:Py_Initialize ()
in <0x00028> Python.Runtime.Runtime:Initialize ()
in <0x00013> Python.Runtime.PythonEngine:Initialize ()
in <0x00017> Python.Runtime.PythonConsole:Main (System.String[] args)"

Does this mean python23 is mandatory for running on a *nix
environment? It's true that I only have python24 installed...

thanks in advance,
Filipe