[Python.NET] accessing .net dlls from python

Roman Yakovenko roman.yakovenko at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 19:45:34 CEST 2006

On 3/28/06, ivan Uemlianin <i.uemlianin at bangor.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I'm interested in accessing .net dlls from python (e.g. to write test
> scripts).  Is pythonnet the correct software to use?

Definitely.

> I have had a go.  I have installed pythonnet and tested it with some of
> the code samples: all well.  Putting a .net dll called foo.dll in the
> current directory, 'import foo' raises the following error:
>
>   ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initfoo)

To Brad: I think it could be nice idea to write custom import that will load
.net dll automatically. I will see what can I do. The main question is
how to behave
with top level namespaces.

> Is there a liitle bit extra I need to do, or am I barking up the wrong
> tree?  I suppose I'm looking for something that will allow me to import
> .net dlls as if they were python modules.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that before importing something from
.net dlls, you should load them first.

import CLR
from CLR.System.Reflection import Assembly

my_dll_name = Assembly.LoadWithPartialName( path to dll that does not
include .dll extension )

#import namespaces
from CLR import TopNamespace

> Any advice much appreciated.