[Python.NET] Trouble getting Python for .NET to work in Ableton Live

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Thu Dec 13 19:16:44 CET 2007

Tijs Wickardt wrote:
> On problem though - how do i use the "pythonnet-2.0-alpha2" anyway in a
> separate python? Can't seem to find anything about it in the docs. I can
> build it using VS2005, but that gives me a python.exe and a
> "Python.Runtime.dll", which I suspect is where all the magic is. If I say
> "import Python.Runtime" from a normal python.exe, I get the message the
> following:

The magic is in clr.pyd. You have to import the python dynamic extension
(hence the name) in order to use the CLR features in a common Python.
The clr.pyd in the alpha zip files doesn't work properly. You have to
compile your own version with VS.

> Ableton comes as one big .exe (about 20MB). I'd have to hack it, and have
> no idea how to do that...

I fear it's not going to work. A big exe sounds like a static inclusion
of Python. PythonDotNET isn't compatible with static linking of the
pythoncore library. It requires a pythonXX.dll to work.

Christian