[Python.NET] problem with inheritance? ironpython ok, python.net - different

david lawler djlawler at aol.com
Fri Oct 19 21:21:24 CEST 2007

Brian Lloyd <brian.lloyd at ...> writes:

> ...but I'm still alive ;)
>
> On the original question here - David, you've basically run into the edge
> of the integration between python and .net here.
>
> The object that gets passed to your event handler by the CLR will always
> be the of actual .net class, not the python subclass. This is because
> the python subclass is not a real CLR class (it is only visible in Python),
> which is not the case in IronPython (python classes are bona fide CLR
> classes)......

That does indeed help.  Strangely I think I even follow your points :).
I will see if there is another way that will work with both python.net and
IronPython.  The other issue I have started to look at is getting to the
GUI thread (and the controls in the main form), from other threads.  In
IronPython there is some odd 'CallTarget0' stuff to allow you to Invoke/access
data across threads.  Is there something like that in Python.net?  This is
not of vital importance - just curiosity.  I was working on a half *ssed
IronPython 'IDE' written in IronPython and was shocked to see that the
application actually ran under Python.net but then ran into the issue I
described in the previous post as well as this other issue.  It will not be
a big deal if it does not work.

Thanks for the quick and understandable reply!

David