[Python.NET] embed Python in C#

igorfier at hotmail.com igorfier at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:08:47 CEST 2010

Hello all,

After following some examples around the web, and some discussions in the mail list,
I came into the following snippet to call a function defined in a Python script into a C# host app,
as seen at “http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythondotnet/2007-June/000620.html”:

//
public static void MethodThatCallsPython()
        {
            // have to acquire the GIL to safely call back into Python!!
            IntPtr state = PythonEngine.AcquireLock();

            PythonEngine.RunSimpleString("print 'hello'");

            // done using python for now, so release the GIL...
            PythonEngine.ReleaseLock(state);
        }
//

Although it looks quite simple, VS2010 this throws an exception at the very first line of code:
“Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.”

My machine runs Windows 7 64-bit, and as I read somewhere else, 64 bit OS may be a matter of concern.
Does anyone know how to overcome this annoying situation??

Thank you for any help provided!

Igor Fier
Dept. of Physics, Condensed Matter
UNESP Rio Claro – Rio Claro-SP, Brazil