[Python.NET] Working with XAML and WPF

Victor Demydov drglitch at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 19:10:57 CET 2011

Hello,

Has anyone been trying to use PythonNET to drive a WPF-based application?
I am hitting a wall at first step - parsing my XAML with XamlReader. It is
failing with a message indicative of bad Xaml, but it is fine (runs in
IronPython).

Google is proving futile after few hours of searching... any help would be
greatly appreciated!

Sample Code:

# Reference the WPF assemblies

import clr

clr.AddReference("PresentationFramework.Classic, Version=3.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35")

clr.AddReference("PresentationCore, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35")

import System.Windows

Application = System.Windows.Application

from System.Windows.Markup import XamlReader

class XamlLoader(object):

def __init__(self, xmlData):

self.Root = XamlReader.Parse( xmlData )

def __getattr__(self, item):

return self.Root.FindName(item)

print "begin run"

xamldata = """

<Window

xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"

xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"

Title="WpfApplication3" Height="300" Width="300">

<Grid></Grid>

</Window>

"""

print xamldata