[Python.NET] Release plan

davidacoder davidacoder at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 4 15:54:45 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand what the "official" release history is right now.
PythonNet 2.0 was never officially released, correct? Was the last release
2.0 beta?

In any case, I think it would be great if we released an official 2.0
version, provided binaries for download etc.

My gut sense is that there would be significant benefits of releasing the
current version + any major bug fixes as is, i.e. hold off from adding any
new features. The current version seems to be used by a fair number of
people and useful to them, and I think it would be good to have something
officially released as quickly as possible. But, I don't know the codebase
nor history well, so please chime in if you think that is a silly
suggestion.

Version 2.1 then could incorporate the various work people have done on
forks of the project and maybe get setup.py to work on all supported
platforms. We could also clean up some of the old files, docs etc for that
release.

In my mind such versions 2.0 and 2.1 could happen relatively quickly, i.e.
don't be multi months projects but more like a few weeks at most. In general
I think once we get setup/deployment via pip running, it would make sense to
release new versions fairly frequently, even if they only add a few new
features.

Any thoughts?

Best,
David