[Python.NET] homebrew pythonnet, versus pip install --pre pythonnet

Tony Roberts tony at pyxll.com
Thu Jun 5 00:44:56 CEST 2014

The projects/solutions still work the same as they did before, but I always
found the different targets a bit hit and miss as to how consistently they
were set up. Setup.py builds using msbuild and (more or less) the same
solution file that was there previously. You can still load it into visual
studio. Setup.py sets some build options according to the version of python
being used.

I suggested using setup.py as that's what I consider the most
reliable/reproducible method.

You don't need to build it in an IDE in order to embed python. You should
be able to just add a reference to the assembly built as part of the
setup.py build.