[Python.NET] surveying the landscape ...

Brian Lloyd brian.d.lloyd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 22:32:13 CEST 2015

Hi Adam - thanks for the note, and happy to see Python for .NET is useful
to you. I can't answer all of the questions, but can take a swing at a few:

- is there a BDFL … is Brian Lloyd still active; or is Tony Roberts
steering the ship (being the top code contributor recently on github?) It
looks like python 3.x integration and more recent work is happening on on
renshawbay/pythonnet? Is pythonnet/pythonnet still the official repo?

I'm still above ground, but not really active on the Python for .NET
project recently, mostly due to creation of a cloud-centric business, shift
of focus etc. I still follow developments, but without a business driver
can't justify a lot of bandwidth on it. Tony and others are probably better
candidates for BDFL ;)

- who manages releases to PyPI?

That I don't know. the answer may be "nobody" right now - while there are a
number of active contributors to the

project, it really hasn't gotten the critical mass that most OSS projects
need to have dedicated release responsibilities,

etc. While releases may have been made to PyPI, I'm not sure anyone views
it as a responsibility at this point (correct

me if I'm wrong guys).

- is this PythonDotNet mailing list the appropriate clearinghouse for all
discussions related to the project?

As far as I know, this is the main conduit for discussion, and the place
where the most active contributors chat.

- are there other institutions that are public users of this project?

I can't name names, but I've had discussions with numerous companies that
are active users. The sweet spot seems to be in the financial industry
(driving trading models, etc.) People are using it for mission critical
things that are managing real money.

- is there an official vision or roadmap for future releases?

I would say probably not - while some folks like Tony have really stepped
up to push to project forward, it takes a bigger commitment to have
roadmaps, etc. I think the project may still be too "niche" for that to
happen organically - people have day jobs and contribute as they can to
achieve their own goals (which is great!), but it usually requires funding
or a wider ecosystem to support more mature product management activities.

Hopefully this is helpful, if not all ideal answers :)

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Adam Klein <aklein at bluemountaincapital.com>
wrote:

>  Hello all,
>

> We are using Python.NET at BlueMountain to interface between our large
> .NET code base and the cpython ecosystem for interactive, exploratory
> computing. By way of background, I was a major contributor to the pandas
> library for a time; my firm is behind the Deedle library (
> https://github.com/BlueMountainCapital/Deedle).
>
>  To state the obvious, the project has proven hugely valuable.
> BlueMountain has an interest in making sure the library doesn’t languish.
> To that end, we’re interested in contributing to the project in terms of
> manpower and possibly funding development. I’d like to get a better sense
> of a few things:
>

> - is there a BDFL … is Brian Lloyd still active; or is Tony Roberts
> steering the ship (being the top code contributor recently on github?) It
> looks like python 3.x integration and more recent work is happening on on
> renshawbay/pythonnet? Is pythonnet/pythonnet still the official repo?
>
> - who manages releases to PyPI?
>
> - is this PythonDotNet mailing list the appropriate clearinghouse for all
> discussions related to the project?
>
> - are there other institutions that are public users of this project?
>
> - is there an official vision or roadmap for future releases?
>

> I see that python 3.x support looks like it’s happening on
> renshawbay/pythonnet (awesome). For other wish-list items or proposed
> contributions, is it best to start opening issues on the
> pythonnet/pythonnet github site? How are pull requests managed?
>

> I’m also wondering if there’s any collective / documented knowledge about
> the inherent limitations and pitfalls of the library and/or where
> development resources are needed?
>

> Best,
>
>   Adam

 47 Lining    *Brian Lloyd, SVP Engineering*  Cloud Advisory and
Development Services  M +1.540.845.2975 | E brian.lloyd at 47lining.com | W
www.47lining.com  This message and any attachments are confidential and
intended solely for the individual(s) or entity to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy or distribute the
email or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail.