[Python.NET] About use DotNet threading lib

Longhui Xiong xionglonghui at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 07:11:26 CET 2015

Hi there,

I am using python for DotNet, I have to say, it is great.

As we know, cpython has the Global Interpreter Lock (GIL) on
multi-threading. So it can not use multi-core.

So I have one question, if I import CLR and use System.Threading on python
for .net, but don't use cpython threading,

My question: Does it still has GIL on multi-threading if I use DotNet
threading lib? Can it use multi-core use DotNet threading lib.

I know IronPython has no GIL and multi-threaded code can use multi core
processors. So I pay attention this issue, on python for dotnet, if I use
DotNet threading lib instead of cPython threading lib, Can multi-threaded
code use multi core,  it still has GIL?

I look forward to your reply.

Regards