[Python.NET] -|EXT|- Re: Cast PyObject to RoutedEventHandler

WARD Steve Steve.Ward at oxinst.com
Thu Jun 21 11:10:05 EDT 2018

I tried:

import System
import System.Windows

@clr.clrmethod([System.object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs])
def OnStartButton(sender,args):
    #do stuff
    pass

and get: ‘Cannot perform runtime binding on a null referenceAttributeError : object’

So I tried subscribing to the Click event from the Python end and that works. However, that’s not so good for me so I tried subclassing Button in C# and debugging what is passed to the Click event when subscribing from Python and sure enough, it is a RoutedEventhandler (even without the @clr.crlmethod decorator). There must be a way to pass-in the method to C#!!

Background: this is an application to support simple GUI development in Python. The C# end handles creating and displaying the GUI components which results in very simple Python:

# works in IronPython
b = app.Button("Start", OnStartButton)

# can’t use OnStartButton as argument, have to add this in Python.NET :-(
b.Click += OnStartButton

By the way I’m using Python.Net with PyScope from my own build.

Steve