[Python.NET] Working group meeting notes for November 7, 2019

Mark Visser markv at unity3d.com
Thu Nov 7 15:44:19 EST 2019

Attendees: Benoit Hudson (ImgSpc), Amos Li, Mark Visser (Unity)

Agenda
Review action items from last meeting

Notes
Update from Victor: The only thing I’ve done though is reviewing PyBuffer request PR: https://github.com/pythonnet/pythonnet/pull/980 <https://github.com/pythonnet/pythonnet/pull/980>, for which, sadly, tests are still not passing.

Update from Benedikt: I've been mostly working on clr_loader, will open a PR on pythonnet for this weekend.

.NET foundation:
Mark finally got a reply back from his contact at Unity
He will loop Benedikt in on the e-mail as soon as he's introduced to someone on the .NET foundation

Soft restart:
PR is large and hard to review
https://github.com/pythonnet/pythonnet/pull/958#issuecomment-551230878 <https://github.com/pythonnet/pythonnet/pull/958#issuecomment-551230878>
documented here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a9OLsdKHXJ6MxHjo0WlVRcfjAiaP5hONNKUKKH6Tr-o <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a9OLsdKHXJ6MxHjo0WlVRcfjAiaP5hONNKUKKH6Tr-o>
Benoit will break out SlotsHolder and __import__ restore into smaller PRs
Amos can you continue to break https://github.com/pythonnet/pythonnet/pull/958 <https://github.com/pythonnet/pythonnet/pull/958> into smaller PRs to land individually?
discussion about system modules restoration - clarity found
split removal of native code page into another PR after everything else has landed

Regarding the meeting time:
Amos pointed out that the meeting is at 4am his local time - could we move this meeting to a better time for him?
possible times:
4 hours earlier (12pm EST, 8am PST, 12am China)
2 hours later (5pm EST, 11am PST, 6am China)
3 hours later (6pm EST, 12pm PST, 7am China)
please discuss!

Action Items
Mark - still working on getting in touch with .NET foundation
Benoit - document how to use pythonnet when you expect to run multithreaded python code (BeginAllowThreads/EndAllowThreads) in an embedded interpreter
Victor - will create Github issues for items in the Quantconnect PR and figure out plan for bringing more generic solutions to master.
? - can someone research how hard it would be to move the CI to Github Actions?
Benoit - will break out SlotsHolder and __import__ restore into smaller PRs
Amos - will continue to break https://github.com/pythonnet/pythonnet/pull/958 <https://github.com/pythonnet/pythonnet/pull/958> into smaller PRs following Benoit's example
All - please discuss changing the meeting time on the list